My First Time As A Speech Evaluator
April 12, 2011 Leave a comment
Last night I had the opportunity to be a speech evaluator. I believe that I did a fine job; however there was one piece of advice that I need to take away. During my evaluation I looked at the young lady who had given her speech and gave her a personal review. The issue was, the other people were also learning from my review.
When giving a speech evaluation it is important to personalize it, but to also include the others. Everyone had heard the same speech and has formed their own ideas. Now the group along with the speaker want to learn from you as the official evaluator.
Now some further pointers:
1. Start out congratulating them on successful completion of their speech.
2. Reiterate what the speech was about and what the tasks were.
2. Give a glowing point.
3. Give a specific point or two from their manual that they had completed
4. Verbally give two or three grow points.
5. Finally end on a glow point. It is always nice to walk away on a high.